a parish on the eastern border of the barony of Clonmacnoon, and of co. Galway, Connaught. It contains the village of CLEAGHMORE, and the greater part of the town of BALLINASLOE: see these articles. Length, 3 miles; breadth, 2½; area, 7,289 acres, 33 perches,—of which 88 acres, 2 roods, 85 perches are water. Pop., in 1841, of the whole, 7,248; of the rural districts, 2,473. Houses in the whole, 989; in the rural districts, 397. The pop. of the whole, in 1831, is stated by the Census at 8,404, and by the Ecclesiastical Authorities at 7,156. The surface is bounded on the east by the river Suck; it presents gentle, hillocky, and pleasing inequalities; it contains a considerable aggregate of both bog and wood, the former largely reclaimed, and the latter nearly all within demesnes; it makes a pleasing impression upon strangers, by the beauty and snugness of the environs of Ballinasloe, the neatness and number of its villas and mansions, and the great breadth and embellishment of the Earl of Clancarty’s demesne of GARBALLY [which see]; it averages, in the annual value of its land, about 20s, per plantation acre; and it contains the western terminus of the Grand Canal, arid is traversed by the great Connaught road from Dublin, which here forks into the lines toward respectively Galway and Westport. The highest ground is Knocknagreana, a little west of the centre; and has an altitude of 318 feet. Mackney, the villa of the Hon. Archdeacon Trench, stands on the road to Galway; and the other noticeable rural residences are Fort-Lodge, Cahir, and Sallymount.—This parish is a rectory, and part of the benefice of Creagh, in the dio. of Clonfert. See CREAGH. Tithe composition, £88 17s 6d. But a portion of the tithes compounded for £37 0s, 1¾d., is appropriated to the see and deanery of Clonfert. The church is situated in Ballinasloe, and was built about the year 1790 at an unknown cost, and enlarged in 1825, by means of a loan of £1,107 13s. l0¼d., from the late Board of First Fruits. Sittings 1,000; attendance 350. The Methodist meeting-house is attended by from 30 to 100, and the Primitive Methodist house by from 70 to 100. The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 3,500; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Creagh. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 1,233, and the Roman Catholics to 5,609; and 6 pay daily schools were attended, on average, by 147 children.
[Source: Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, adapted to the new Poor Law, Franchise, Municipal and Ecclesiastical Arrangements, and compiled with a special reference to the lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, as existing in 1844-45, illustrated by a series of maps, and other plates; and presenting the results, in detail, of the census of 1841, compared with that of 1831, Vol. II, Dublin, London, and Edinburgh (A. Fullarton & Co.), 1846, p. 374f.]