Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Creagh parish in 1846
Transcribed and submitted by Damian Mac Con Uladh
a parish, occupying the western half of the barony of Moycarnon, and containing a small part of the town of Ballinasloe, co. Roscommon, Connaught. See Ballinasloe. Length and breadth, each 3 miles; area, 8,867 acres, 2 roods, 37 perches, —of which 109 acres, 34 perches, are in the river Suck, and 1,020 acres, 20 perches, constitute a detached district about a mile to the east. Pop., in 1831, 2,864; in 1841, 2,888. Houses 501, Pop. of the rural districts, in 1831, 2,389; in 1841, 2,583. Houses 453. The river Suck traces the western boundary; and the roads from Ballinasloe to Athlone and Shannon-Bridge traverse the interior. A considerable proportion of the area is bog: see next article. The surface rises into hilly ground in the east, and occasionally swells elsewhere into undulations; but, for the most part, has a champaign character, and, jointly with that of the neighbouring parish of Moore, shows a greater disposition to a dead level than most other parts of the county. Such hills and swells as occur consist principally of limestone gravel; and various spots show limestone rock cropping out from the surface. Good specimens exist of plantation upon bog; and in one place, on the Shannon-Bridge road and toward the Suck, natural wood appears inclined to rise from an old resident gentlemen have set the example of improving stock and tillage; and the average value of the land is about 20s. per plantation acre. Among the mansions and villas are Fort-William, Suckfield, and Ashford near the Suck, and Birchgrove and Woodmount toward the east.—This parish is a rectory in the dio. of Clonfert. Tithe composition, £83 1s. 6½d.; glebe, £4 15s. 6d. Yet a portion of the tithes, compounded for £51 18s. 6d., is appropriated to the bishop and dean of Clonfert. The rectories of Creagh, Kilclooney, and Taghmaconnel [see these articles], constitute the benefice of Creagh. Length, 12 miles; breadth, 4. Pop., in 1831, 14,436. Gross income, £287 12s. 6½d.; nett, £222 11s. l0½d. Patron, the diocesan. The church is situated in the Kilclooney section of the town of Ballinasloe. The Roman Catholic chapel of Creagh has an attendance of 800; and, in the Roman Catholic parochial arrangement, is united to the chapel of Kilclooney. There are a Roman Catholic chapel also in Taghmaconnel, and two Methodist chapels in Kilclooney. In 1834, the Protestants of the parish amounted to 135, and the Roman Catholics to 3,027; the Protestants of the union to 1,369, and the Roman Catholics to 13,336; 6 daily schools in the parish—one of which was aided with £12 a-year from Lady Clancarty and a graduated allowance from the London Hibernian Society, arid one with £2 from the rector, £10 from the London Ladies’ Hibernian Society, and a graduated allowance from the London Hibernian Society—were averagely attended by from 256 to 312 children; and 15 daily schools in the union had on their books 807 boys and 100 girls, and were attended also by about 170 children, whose names were not enrolled.
CREAGH, a bog in the barony of Moycarnon, 1 mile east of Ballinasloe, co. Roscommon, Connaught. Length, 2¼ miles; breadth, 1; area, 1,758 acres. Average depth, 25 feet; extreme altitude above the level of the Suck at Ballinasloe, 68 feet. The bog declines to the Suck; is bisected and drained westward by the Creagh mill-stream; and, in generalbut particularly toward the south end—is very wet. Estimated cost of reclamation, £2,041 11s. 2d. On the south border of the parish of Creagh lies also the bog of Cullagh: which see.
[Source: Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, adapted to the new Poor Law, Franchise, Municipal and Ecclesiastical Arrangements, and compiled with a special reference to the lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, as existing in 1844-45, illustrated by a series of maps, and other plates; and presenting the results, in detail, of the census of 1841, compared with that of 1831, Vol. I, Dublin, London, and Edinburgh (A. Fullarton & Co.), 1846, p. 540.]