Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Pollboy bog in 1846
Transcribed and submitted by Damian Mac Con Uladh
or Polbuie, a bog in the parishes of Kilclooney and Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnoon, co. Galway, Connaught. It commences ¾ of a mile south of Ballinasloe, and extends 2½ miles along the right bank of the Suck, and past the hamlet of Polboy. It is bounded on the north-west and the south by steep ridges of limestone gravel; and is interiorly divided by three small streams which run nearly from west, to east; and, though for the most part very wet, it might be drained and reclaimed at less expense than most other bogs, the fall being quite sufficient, and the limestone gravel in no part very distant. Area, 1,950 acres; estimated cost of reclamation, £2,645 4s. 7d.
[Source: Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, adapted to the new Poor Law, Franchise, Municipal and Ecclesiastical Arrangements, and compiled with a special reference to the lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, as existing in 1844-45, illustrated by a series of maps, and other plates; and presenting the results, in detail, of the census of 1841, compared with that of 1831, Vol. III, Dublin, London, and Edinburgh (A. Fullarton & Co.), 1846, p. 77.]<< back