Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland - Garbally in 1846
Transcribed and submitted by Damian Mac Con Uladh
the demesne of the Earl of Clancarty, in the baronies of Clonmacnoon and Kilconnel, and immediately west of Ballinasloe, co. Galway, Connaught. The spacious and beautiful common on which the chief part of the great fair of Ballinasloe is held, intervenes between the town and the demesne; and the mail roads from Dublin to Galway, and to Westport, which fork at the town, bound respectively by the south and north sides of the demesne. The taste and beauty which are so singularly apparent in Ballinasloe, are eminently conspicuous in Garbally; and sit with peculiar grace upon a soil and surface which were all naturally moorish, and a great part of which were, at a very recent date, a spongy and abominable bog. The woods of the demesne are extensive; the park is very spacious and well laid out; the gardens are inviting; and the mansion is a large quadrangular pile, hollow, or with area in the centre, but more massive and imposing than ornate or beautiful in its architecture. A section of the east side of the demesne is annually thrown open for the uses of Ballinasloe fair; the whole demesne, up to the very entrance-gate of the mansion, is always liberally open to the pleasure-promenading, of the townspeople or strangers; the bogs in the immediate western vicinity of the demesne have been undergoing masterly and persevering reclamation; and the entire estates of the noble proprietor are understood to be managed on spirit and principles highly evincing science, sound economy, patriotism, and philanthropy.
[Source: Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, adapted to the new Poor Law, Franchise, Municipal and Ecclesiastical Arrangements, and compiled with a special reference to the lines of Railroad and Canal Communication, as existing in 1844-45, illustrated by a series of maps, and other plates; and presenting the results, in detail, of the census of 1841, compared with that of 1831, Vol. II, Dublin, London, and Edinburgh (A. Fullarton & Co.), 1846, p. 246f.]<< back